FKM / Viton™
Fluorocarbon (FPM, FKM, Viton™)
Fluorocarbon is a well- known high performance rubber, and especially it has excellent resistance to high temperature, ozone, weather, oxygen, mineral oil, fuels, hydraulic fluids, aromatics and many organic solvents and chemicals.
Viton™ system gum like general type (A-TYPE, 66% fluorine), middle fluorine content type (B-, GBL-TYPE, 67~68.5% fluorine), high fluorine content type (F-, GF-TYPE,70% fluorine ), improving low temperature flexibility type (GLT-, GFLT) and excellent resistance to more chemicals and solvents-- Viton™ ETP Extreme.
We also can supply excellent acid and alkali resistance parts made by AFLAS®.
Bisphenol cured vs. Peroxide-Cured
Standard FKM compounds are Bisphenol cured. FKM compounds with peroxide-cured possess better acid solution resistance than the bisphenol cured. In Some lubricants adding a few organic amide or amine, choosing peroxide curing system Viton™ will be better than bisphenol curing system.
Other Common Variations
- FKM can also be submitted for approval to Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for use in applications as prescribed in UL157.
- FKM has excellent resistance to high temperature, oil, solvent, flame, chemical and weather, and it is usually applied in automotive, chemical processing, aerospace and many industrials.
- Viton™ GLT is broadly used in thermal range of -40℃ to 250℃ and it has outstanding resistance to aggressive HTS-type oils which are commonly used in aerospace industry.
- Viton™ ETP is usually applied in chemical industrial.
- In some fuels adding several methanol, Viton™ F and B-type are more usable than A-type especially F-type. If it requires lower temperature, GFLT and GBLT will be available.
- AFLAS® (TFE/propylene polymer) is better base and steam resistant than other general Viton™s. It can be use in amine, amide and some bases.
Viton™ is a registered trademark of Chemours Fluoroelastomer. AFLAS® is a registered trademark of AGC Chemicals.
Performs Well In...
- Petroleum products
- Fuel or blend with methanol or ethanol
- Diesel or blend with biodiesel
- Mineral oil and grease
- Silicone oil and grease
- High vacuum
- Ozone, weather and very high temperature air
- Strong acid
Doesn’t Perform Well In...
- Low molecular weight organic acids (formic and acetic acids)
- Superheat steam
- Low molecular weight esters and ethers.
- Phosphate ester based hydraulic fluids - Skydrol®️